Art Trail of the Kennebunks
Take a walk on the Kennebunks' creative side this summer as part of the Art Trail of the Kennebunks, a collaboration of 20+ local art galleries and organizations.
The public is invited to take free, self-guided tours of our local art galleries, studios and organizations in Kennebunk, Kennebunkport and Arundel. Participating galleries will open their studios from 5 to 7 p.m. Fridays, June 8, July 13, Aug. 10, Sept. 7 and Dec. 7.
Participating galleries include Morph Gallery & Emporium, Blue Whale Trading Company, Sue Rioux Designs, Of the Sea Studio & Steady Light Candle Co., Dawn Burns Art Studio, The Gallery on Maine Art Hill, Studios on Maine Art Hill in Lower Village, Kennebunk; the Art Guild of the Kennebunks, Wendy Webster Good Fine Art, The Port Gallery, Rusty Fly Gallery & Gift, Landmark Gallery, Chris Becker Photo and the Wright Gallery in Kennebunkport; plus Kennebunk Free Library, the Brick Store Museum, Dianna Anderson Art in Kennebunk; Arundel Farm Gallery in Arundel; Meadowlark Designs and Wade Zahares Gallery in Lyman.
The idea is to showcase the diversity of high-quality artisans working in our community and create an open invitation for our community into these galleries. A printed brochure and map highlighting the 20+ local galleries will also serve as a resource for self-guided tours during regular business hours the rest of the month.
The Art Trail of the Kennebunks and the Village Art Walk is made possible by the generous sponsorship of The Historic Inns of Kennebunkport (1802 House Bed & Breakfast, Captain Jefferds Inn, Captain Lord Mansion, Inn at English Meadows and the Maine Stay Inn) as well as Salt & Honey, H.B. Provisions, Hurricane, Pedro's and Old Vines.
For information, call The Chamber at 967-0857 or visit gokennebunks.com.
1. MORPH GALLERY & EMPORIUM: 155 Port Road, Lower Village, Kennebunk. www.morphgallery.com / (207) 967-2900. Paint, print, fabric, clay / Writings (are authors artists?) / Morph - offering more.
2. BLUE WHALE TRADING COMPANY: 155 Port Road, Lower Village, Kennebunk. www.bluewhaletradingcompany.com / (207) 204-0781. Family-owned business featuring locally sourced pieces, custom-made furniture, and New England artisans’ hand-crafted collections.
3. SUE RIOUX DESIGNS: 180 Port Road, Lower Village, Kennebunk. (207) 229-7017. Sue Rioux Designs is a working studio and gallery creating limited-edition and one-of-a-kind glass kaleidoscopes.
4. OF THE SEA STUDIO & STEADY LIGHT CANDLE CO.: 180 Port Road, Lower Village, Kennebunk. Curated collections and design
inspired by the sea. All-natural candles hand poured in small batches on the coast of Maine.
5. DAWN BURNS ART STUDIO: 185 Western Ave., Lower Village, Kennebunk. www.DawnBurnsArt.com / (207) 227-6166. Specializing in custom pet portraits, hand painted gifts and keepsakes, private event paint parties and art lessons.
6. THE GALLERY ON MAINE ART HILL: 14 Western Ave., Kennebunk. www.maine-art.com / (207) 967-2803. A premier gallery destination in Southern Maine for more than 20 years. Proudly representing 35 of New England’s most prolific fine artists. Open year-round.
7. STUDIOS ON MAINE ART HILL: 5 Chase Hill Road, Lower Village, Kennebunk. www.maine-art.com / Seven micro galleries home to year-round artists, rotating weekly pop-ups, and a custom framing and print shop.
8. ART GUILD OF THE KENNEBUNKS: Summer group shows at the Community House, Temple Street, Kennebunkport. Opening receptions held on Village Art Walk nights. 5-7 p.m. Aug. 11 and Sept. 8.
9. WENDY WEBSTER GOOD FINE ART, THE PORT GALLERY: 11 Ocean Ave., Kennebunkport. www.wendywebstergood.com / (207) 229-3167. “The Port” offers a unique collection of “local made” arts and crafts and featuring works of art. The gallery has monthly shows featuring local artists.
10. RUSTY FLY GALLERY & GIFT: 24 Ocean Avenue, Kennebunkport. www.sheppardfineart.com (508) 982-5398. Gallery featuring the original paintings of Captain Peter Sheppard, former saltwater fly fishing guide, as well as artisanal gifts including jewelry, sculpture, textiles, and souvenirs. Located across from Salt & Honey.
11. LANDMARK GALLERY: 31 Ocean Ave., Kennebunkport. www.landmarkgallery.net / (207) 967-0020. Representational art gallery in a restored firehouse specializing in original, one-of-a-kind marine subjects, plus landscapes and florals, sculpture, hand-crafted jewelry and other unique items.
12. INK & THISTLE PRESS: 24 Ocean Ave., Dock Square Kennebunkport. (207) 204-0146 / inkandthistle.com. A modern letterpress studio providing bespoke event invitations, greeting cards, and other fine stationery items.
13. CHRIS BECKER PHOTO: 127 Ocean Ave., Kennebunkport. www.chrisbeckerphoto.com / (207) 967-0069. Art gallery featuring contemporary fine art photography. Open edition prints and large limited-edition works in museum quality production available.
14. KENNEBUNK FREE LIBRARY: 112 Main St., Kennebunk. (207) 985-2173 / www.KennebunkLibrary.org. Permanent collection of Children’s Illustration Gallery and monthly rotating artists.
15. BRICK STORE MUSEUM: 117 Main St., Kennebunk. (207) 985-4802 / www.brickstoremuseum.org. Exploring the wonders of history and the arts at the heart of the Kennebunks since 1936.
16. DIANNA ANDERSON STUDIO: 32 Brown St., Kennebunk. www.diannaandersonart.com / (207) 651-1043 / Check out the home studio and work in progress of this plein air painter that express nature’s visual poetry.
17. ARUNDEL FARM GALLERY: 76 Arundel Road, Arundel. (561) 702-6396 / www.ArundelFarmGallery.com. Located on a beautiful country property just 1.5 miles from Dock Square, the antique farmhouse, carriage house and far barn features 3 gallery spaces.
18. MEADOWLARK DESIGNS: 143 Walker Road, Lyman. (207) 467-5532 / www.meadowlarkdesigns.net. Meadowlark Designs is a woodworking studio and showroom featuring artisan furniture by designer/maker Peter Brown. The showroom will be participating in two of the Art Trail evenings: July 13 and September 7. The showroom is generally open during the week 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. or by appointment.
19. WADE ZAHARES GALLERY: 314 Alewive Road, Lyman. (207) 499-2485 / www.wadezahares.com. Artist and illustrator Wade Zahares’ studio features whimsical pastel landscapes, children’s books, local scenes and more.
20. THE WRIGHT GALLERY: 5 Pier Road, Kennebunkport. (207) 967-5053 / www.thewrightgallery.com. Located in picturesque Cape Porpoise. Fine art, coastal-inspired gifts, antiques, jewelry, decor and more.
OTHER AREA STUDIOS/GALLERIES (only open during regular hours and/or by appointment)
BECOMING JEWELRY: 22 Main St., Unit B, Kennebunk. www.becomingjewelry.com. Meaningful sterling silver and gold filled jewelry, including custom jewelry, hand-made in Kennebunk. Open during regular business hours.
DANIE CONNOLLY STUDIO: 139 Summer St., Kennebunk. (207) 985-8888 / www.danieconnolly.com. Author, illustrator, photographer invites you into her whimsical world! (and serious paintings as well.)
KENNEBUNK ART STUDIO: (207) 590-7762 / www.kennebunkartstudio.com Features art of Steve Hrehovcik. Commissions for portraits, homes, equestrian & pets, book illustrations, caricatures and maps. Works in pen & ink, acrylics, pastel, colored pen and pencil.
MAST COVE GALLERIES: 1 Mast Cove Lane, Kennebunkport. www.mastcove.com / (207) 967-3453. One of Maine’s largest group galleries featuring works by 76 artists located in Kennebunkport’s historic section, one block from town.
MW PHOTOGRAPHIC: 3 Trackside Drive, Kennebunk. (917) 834-8346 / www.mdwphotographic.com. Michael D Wilson photographs people in an attempt to show them in their most human moments.
NEEDLEPOINT AMERICA: 173 Port Road, Kennebunk, Original hand-painted needlepoint designs and styles from pillows to rugs, belts and frames, basket covers, eyeglass cases, and stockings.
OLD BAGZZ: www.OldBagzz.com / (207) 286-7262. Originally designed and handmade bags made from vintage, recycled and original fabrics and trims.
RIVER TREE ARTS: 35 Western Ave., Lower Village, Kennebunk. www.rivertreearts.org / (207) 967-9120. The area’s oldest nonprofit community arts center is home to a vibrant art & gift gallery and offers programs, classes & events.
ROBERT A. DENNIS PHOTOGRAPHY: www.PortImages.com. Capturing Kennebunkport in every mood and every season, plus its most famous residents, George and Barbara Bush and family.
THE SHARPE GALLERY: www.TheSharpeGallery.com / (207) 967-6331. The Sharpe Gallery is a boutique online gallery that hosts pop-up art exhibitions in Kennebunkport.