Village Art Walk
Art Trail of the Kennebunks connects the dots
On Aug. 11, look for the following special events:
• Live music by Lisa Mills and Don Wessels at Sue Rioux Gallery
• At Maine Art Shows, sneak preview on Friday evening of the next show. Philip Frey, Margaret Gerding and Ellen Welch Granter: all new works in oil. Opens at 11 a.m. on Saturday at Maine Art Shows, 10 Chase Hill Road
• Artist reception at the Kennebunk Free Library, including Jill Bedard, John Bubar, Ada Byrnes, Ellie Dunham, Jodi Gigante, Mary Elizabeth Grady, Cheryl Lunde, Pat Minichiello, Dennis Raferty, Liz Roper and Sue Speers? -- all students in Dennis Rafferty’s weekly art classes.
• Special Art Walk Sale at Chris Becker Photo, 20% off all prints including Chris’ recent image, “Calypso, Restless, Hannah Jo on Kennebunk River”
• MaineStage Shakespeare actors will be taking to the streets in Lower Village and Dock Square to perform five-minute vignettes from their recent productions. The Sharpe Gallery at The Nonantum Resort will feature a solo exhibition by artist Linda Murray.
The idea is to showcase the diversity of high-quality artisans working in our community and create an open invitation for our community into these galleries. With the help of local artists, the Kennebunk-Kennebunkport-Arundel Chamber of Commerce is picking up where the Third Friday Art Walk Kennebunk left off and adding the firepower of the Village Art Walk, which is now part of the Art Trail of the Kennebunks. A printed brochure and map highlighting the 30+ local galleries will also serve as a resource for self-guided tours during regular business hours the rest of the month.
Village Art Walk continues in 2017
The Village Art Walk is made possible by the generous sponsorship of The Historic Inns of Kennebunkport (1802 House Bed & Breakfast, Captain Jefferds Inn, Captain Lord Mansion, Inn at English Meadows and the Maine Stay Inn) as well as Salt & Honey, H.B. Provisions, Hurricane, Pedro's and Old Vines.
1. THE GALLERIES AT MORNING WALK: 2 Morning Walk Lane (off Route 35) Lower Village, Kennebunk. www.thegalleriesatmorningwalk.com / (207) 408-2236. Home to eight individual cottage-style galleries and shops featuring unique and artful items handmade by local artists and artisans.
2. MORPH GALLERY & EMPORIUM: 155 Port Road, Lower Village, Kennebunk. www.morphgallery.com / (207) 967-2900.
Paint, print, fabric, clay / Writings (are authors artists?) / Morph - offering more.
3. SUE RIOUX DESIGNS: 180 Port Road, Lower Village, Kennebunk. (207) 229-7017. Sue Rioux Designs is a working studio and gallery creating limited-edition and one-of-a-kind glass kaleidoscopes.
4. RIVER TREE ARTS: 35 Western Ave., Lower Village, Kennebunk. www.rivertreearts.org / (207) 967-9120. The area’s oldest nonprofit community arts center is home to a vibrant art & gift gallery and offers programs, classes & events.
5. ART HOUSE GALLERY: 21 Western Ave., Lower Village, Kennebunk. (207) 590-8087. Featuring Phosart Photography-fine art photography by Donna Kabay and Fish House Designs- whimsical Maine inspired paintings by Holly Ross and fine-art paintings by Tammy Ricker.
6. MAINE ART PAINTINGS AND SCULPTURE: 14 Western Ave., Lower Village, Kennebunk. www.maine-art.com / (207) 967-2803. A year-round gallery offering paintings and sculpture by more than 30 artists, with a knowledgeable staff that can assist and offer a wide array of art-related services.
7. MAST COVE GALLERIES: 1 Mast Cove Lane, Kennebunkport. www.mastcove.com (207) 967-3453. One of Maine’s largest group galleries featuring works by 76 artists located in Kennebunkport’s historic section, one block from town.
8. WENDY WEBSTER GOOD FINE ART, THE PORT GALLERY: 11 Ocean Ave., Kennebunkport. www.wendywebstergood.com (207) 229-3167. “The Port” offers a unique collection of “local made” arts and crafts and featuring works of art. The gallery has monthly shows featuring local artists.
9. RUSTY FLY GALLERY & GIFT: 24 Ocean Avenue, Kennebunkport. www.sheppardfineart.com (508) 982-5398. Gallery featuring the original paintings of Captain Peter Sheppard, former saltwater fly fishing guide, as well as artisanal gifts including jewelry, sculpture, textiles, and souvenirs. Located across from Salt & Honey.
10. LANDMARK GALLERY: 31 Ocean Ave., Kennebunkport. www.landmarkgallery.net / (207) 967-0020. Representational art gallery in a restored firehouse specializing in original, one-of-a-kind marine subjects, plus landscapes and florals, sculpture, hand-crafted jewelry and other unique items.
11. W. ROBERT PAINE GALLERY: 42 Ocean Ave., Kennebunkport. www.wrobertpaineart.com (207) 967-2104. Maine’s accomplished illustrator, art director and teacher paints the people, places and things of New England using, watercolor, egg tempera and oil.
12. THE SHARPE GALLERY: 95 Ocean Ave., Kennebunkport, a pop-up gallery at The Nonantum Resort. www.TheSharpeGallery.com (207) 967-6331. The Sharpe Gallery is a boutique online gallery that hosts pop-up art exhibitions in Kennebunkport.
13. CHRIS BECKER PHOTO: 127 Ocean Ave., Kennebunkport. www.chrisbeckerphoto.com / (207) 967-0069. Art gallery featuring contemporary fine art photography. Open edition prints and large limited-edition works in museum quality production available.